Saturday, July 3, 2010

Stash Busting!

Moving into a much smaller design space has forced me to take a good look at my stash.  In the past, I shopped mostly sale fabric.  Working at a quilt shop made that pretty easy, because I often saw the mark downs before customers.  But it still meant that there was less to choose from-and it was easy to come home with 5 yards "because it was on sale".

I've been offering fabric and patterns to all of my sewing friends and I'm also being more diligent about my fabric purchases.  It's so much easier to buy at full price when I have a project in mind already!  And to offset my new purchases, I have been sewing from my stash as much as possible.  So when I inherited Matt's old mac, I knew that a charm pack would make the perfect laptop sleeve.

Fabric: Blush from Moda by Basic Grey
Lining: a soft pink pintuck fabric - Moda?

I included a cotton batting, machine quilting in a random curved line pattern, and a velcro closure.

 

I didn't need the entire charm pack for this project, so I was able to choose my favorites.  The other squares went into my stash!

The most difficult part of this project was the fit.  I wanted a snug fit, but my first attempt was too small.  This sleeve is a good size for slipping the laptop in and out, and there's enough room for the charger if I want to squeeze it in there.

No comments: