Monday, July 12, 2010

First Bloom

This quilt reminds me of the beginning of spring...the first burst of warm weather that brings just a few patches of blooming flowers, when the landscaping is fresh.



I had a few design ideas incorporating a splash of beautiful prints along with coordinating solids, and this is where I landed!  I'm really happy with the finished quilt, and I can't wait to work on a few more ideas.

For this quilt, I featured Sandi Henderson's Meadowsweet along with Kona cotton in bone and coffee.  The pieced block in the upper left corner includes a fun ruffle that adds a unexpected softness to the design.



I just love square in a square blocks.  They are simple yet striking, and just changing the size, pattern or shade of a fabric creates a whole new look!



I stippled this quilt to help bring out the soft crinkled look.  After washing, it measures 45" x 54".
The backing is a large scale yellow floral print with a border of Kona in bone.



This quilt is now in the shop!

 

1 comment:

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

Cute...I have never seen a quilt like this one. Plain yet striking. I am not sure the white would work well at my house with 4 kiddos, but it would work beautiful in someone's house! Totally off subject...do you have a long arm you quilt with or do you use your machine? I am wanting a new machine and wondered what advice you might have while I research my options.