Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Simplicity 2587

This was a project from last spring, but I think it's still worth a blog post. :)

Pattern: Simplicity 2587, view B
Fabric: Amy Butler, Midwest Modern 2 line

Alterations that I made: I sized down a LOT.  I think I went down 3 or 4 sizes, based on the pattern reviews.  I also did a rolled hem, which added about an inch of length to my dress.
Finally, I shortened the bias straps and tacked the bust line closed a bit so that it fits more comfortably.

If I were to sew this pattern again, I would omit all of the interfacing.  It made the fabric harder to work with, and the waist was a bit stiff until it was washed a few times.  I might also line the top-without lining a bra is an absolute must.

 

The pattern was very easy to follow, and the instructions provided plenty of detail.

I've considered taking up the hem.  I usually don't like a short hem on a dress that has a gathered waist, but the gathering on this dress isn't heavy enough to cause the poof that I want to avoid.

No comments: