Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Simplicity 2584

I finished this dress back in February, but it took me awhile to figure out how I wanted to wear it.  I like it belted, but that shortens the dress by quite a bit.  It also looks really cute with skinny jeans and ballet flats.

Patern: Simplicity 2584, view B
Fabric: Amy Butler, Daisy Chain line
Alterations: I sized down based on finished garment measurements, left the fold detail off of the bottom of the dress, and added a hook and eye about 1" above the bottom of the front slit.
I also added a bit of length to the dress.  The trendier patterns seem to be running on the short size, in my 5'4" opinion.

If I sew this pattern again, I will omit all of the interfacing.  Quilting cotton has enough body already-and when a facing is included I find that adding interfacing just makes the garment too stiff.  In fact, I might even leave off the yolk facing, too.
I will also bring the slit in the yolk up by several inches.

This pattern was really easy to sew up, and the instructions were very detailed.  I would recommend it-but be sure to check the finished garment measurements before cutting!

  

There aren't any detail pictures of the facing, but that's because I spilled ice cream on it. :P  I wasn't sure if I wanted the yolk to be as pronounced as it is on the pattern envelope, so I was pleasantly surprised when the busy print camouflaged the yolk a bit!

It's too warm for the 3/4 length sleeves right now, but this will make a great fall dress/tunic.

1 comment:

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

CUTE DRESS..THANKS FOR THE INPUT ON MY MACHINE HUNTING! I wanted to stop by today and let you know I have two different giveaway going on my blog right now.....one has to do with quilting accessories...thought you might like to check it out! Happy Wednesday!