Monday, May 17, 2010

Peek-a-boo Redwork

I started this quilt a year ago.  We took a short trip to St. Louis last May and I wanted something to work on in the car.  I've loved this redwork quilt ever since it was featured on the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting in August 2004.

Whenever we took a road trip in the last year, I would bring this project along.  It certainly isn't a huge project, and I could have finished it in a few short weeks.  But I typically save any hand work for car trips, and spend my time at home working in my sewing room.

The top and most of the back are pieced from red and white prints that I collected from the quilt shops in St. Louis.  The white is Kona bleached muslin.

I embroidered and pieced this quilt without altering the pattern.  In an effort to finish up my UFOs while my quilting machine was in the shop, I quilted this one with straight lines on my Bernina.  I really like the straight lines, and I'm glad I didn't have to maneuver around the redwork at all-which would have been the case if I quilted it on the frame.

 


I'm not sure where this quilt will end up living.  It's almost too cute to give up.  So for now it's folded neatly in my sewing room closet.

No comments: