Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Donkeys

Have you seen the adorable designs that Laurie Wisbrun creates? I love them all. First she created a print of donkeys wearing wellies. I thought I could resist, until the Christmas version appeared. Pretty soon I had a little of each fabric in my shopping cart!
I didn't want to chop up the donkeys too much, so I used these prints plus a few different reds and greens to make 2 table runners. I did some simple straight line quilting and bound each table runner in kona sour apple.
Do you see the green ricrac and the red piping? I love those details almost as much as the donkeys and boots!
One of these runners is now on our dining room table. It doesn't quite go with the argyle wall, but it brings some cheer to the room none the less! The other runner is a gift for a friend, Amanda. A few weeks ago when Matt was home, Amanda did a photo shoot of our family. I was just getting started on these table runners at the time, and the donkeys remind me of her every time I look at them. I added a camera strap to the gift, too, since I noticed that she didn't have one!
The gifts were very well received, which is the best part of hand crafting!

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Those donkeys are soooo cute! And love the strap :-)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oh my gosh, how did my LQS NOT order any of these adorable little guys? Holy moly! So darn cute :)

Shelley said...

That donkey fabric is a riot! What a great accent to your holiday table!

Diane said...

What a sweet gift! I saw the original donkeys but had not seen the Christmas version... too skint'n cute and I like the way you chose to use it in larger pieces.