Thursday, December 2, 2010

An Advent Quilt

A college friend asked me to create an advent quilt for her based on an idea that she found on Etsy. I love how it turned out!
The top was pieced from last year's Moda Figgy Pudding and this year's Moda Fruitcake. Sashing is kona, of course!
For the numbers, I felted a piece of blue wool and machine appliqued the numbers to the pockets before the pockets were assembled.
To give the pockets a little poof, I cut the fabric 1/2" wider than the finished pocket size. There is a very small tuck in the bottom edge of the pocket. Easy peasy!
I quilted straight lines in the sashing and border and added a sleeve on the back for easy hanging.
Finished pocket size is 4" wide by 5" tall. Finished quilt size is approximately 31" x 37".
As soon as it was bound, I sent it off to Iowa. The quilt arrived just in time for the start of advent!

3 comments:

felicity said...

What a terrific project! It turned out perfectly. Your friend is lucky.

CREATIVE DISORGANIZATION said...

Gee, I wish we lived closer...I think a sewing play date would be really fun with you. You have great ideas!!!

Kristie said...

Wow, fun! This is a great take on the advent calendar!