Monday, May 14, 2012

Twin Babies "Get Together"

One of my cousins just had twin baby boys. It's actually a really incredible story - her AUNT carried the babies for her! My cousin has always known that she wouldn't be able to carry a baby, so as soon as she and her husband married, they started their search for a surrogate. I don't really know the details, but I do know that it is a tough, expensive process, and they were still without a surrogate after about two years of searching. The aunt didn't think she could be considered as a surrogate candidate, because she was already in her 40's. After talking with my cousin's mom and realizing that she COULD be a surrogate, she immediately talked it over with her family. Her husband and their two kids fully supported her, and the rest, as they say, is history!
For these quilts I started with a few prints from the Get Together line by David Walker. I knew that I wanted the quilts to be the same, but not identical. I was also in a time crunch with the move and the auction quilt, so I went with simple strip quilts-one in blue, and one in green!
Twin boys "Get Together" Quilts - front
Here is the green quilt:
Green Bears
And the blue quilt:
Blue Bears
The bears on blue background were printed parallel to the selvedges, while everything else was printed perpendicular. So my 1/3 yard cut of that print was nearly deemed useless, until I decided to do a sort of "film strip" piecing with the print. I actually really like how it breaks up the strips in the quilts!
Green Bears
Both quilts were quilted with a variegated green thread in an organic straight line style. I finished the green quilt with a blue binding:
Green Bears
And the blue quilt was finished with green binding:
Blue Bears
I like the little bit of pink that these pigs add to the quilts:
Green Bears
And for the backings I used prints that coordinated with the bindings:
Twin boys "Get Together" Quilts - back
Both binding fabrics are Painter's Canvas by Laura Gunn. Such a great alternative to a solid! The blue backing is from Echo and the green is from Impressions.
Twin boys "Get Together" Quilts - back
I'm so happy for my cousin, and I can't wait to see the boys. I was supposed to visit them when I was in Chicago in March, but then I got really sick. It's a good thing I didn't visit them the first week I was in town, because I would have felt horrible if I had passed my nasty virus on to them! And in lieu of hand-delivering the quilts, I had my mom pass them along to my cousin's dad. I received the babies' birth announcement and a thank you card in the mail today, so I can say with confidence that the quilts are being used and loved!

5 comments:

Carla said...

these are gorgeous. I am sure they will be used a lot.
Cheers!

felicity said...

Wow - so so beautiful! Nicely done. Very cool surrogate story. What a wonderful gift the babies' mom's aunt gave her.

Lisa said...

Love the quilting. Great story!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Incredible! The quilts are beautiful and I really love the quilting with the variegated thread - gorgeous!

THIS DAD LIFE said...

I have seen this book around but I had no idea that it was a memoir. It sounds like a fantastic read!

THIS DAD LIFE
Gay Family