Monday, April 30, 2012

Preschool Tree Quilt

Here it is, Addy's classroom auction project! Every class is expected to create an art project for the school auction, so this year I volunteered to lead Addy's class project.
DSC_0125
The class involvement included tracing either child's hand onto green fabric (backed with fusible web) and helping them to write their name on the hand print. Once we had the hand prints, we (parent volunteers) cut them out. I then worked on drawing the tree based on the number of hand prints.
Not wanting the tree to look too sparse, I laid the hands over a green treetop. I free motion quilted around each hand.
The hands:
DSC_0128
The treetop:
DSC_0126
On the front of the tree I included a "carved" heart with the class details:
DSC_0127
The quilting details! I quilted the sky in a meadering, the tree trunk in a long, thin meandering variation, and the grass in a random zigzag pattern:
DSC_0133
Another shot of the quilted grass and the piecing:
DSC_0135
I found a great alphabet print for the backing, and I also included a sleeve to hang the quilt:
DSC_0136
And the label:
DSC_0138
The finished size of the quilt is approximately 45" x 58".
And now for the auction details! The quilt ultimately went for $225. It's a bit lower than I would have expected, but ever bit makes an impact!

7 comments:

felicity said...

I love every single thing about this quilt! You did a fantastic job with the design - I absolutely LOVE the pieced background for sky and grass, and that Modern Meadow print is perfect for the tree trunk. LOVE it!! So sorry it didn't meet your expectations (the winning bidder definitely got a deal) but you are right - every little bit helps!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Oh that is awesome!! Such a great quilt!
I agree with Felicity :)

CityHouseStudio said...

What an amazing quilt!
I absolutely love the different quilting styles in the tree, grass, sky, etc. It's just beautiful!

Kristie said...

You did a great job! I did a similar tree quilt to donate to our preschool to auction. Many people don't realize or appreciate the time and cost that goes into making something like this, so I know what you mean about the money raised...something similar happened with mine as well. But, every bit counts, and the family will appreciate this quilt all the more as the years fly by!

barbara woods said...

you did good love that quilt

Sue Daurio said...

What a great idea, I love the quilt and the backing is so perfect!

OrangeBlossom said...

The quilt is amazing! Should have gone for 2-3 times that!!