Monday, August 27, 2012

Flying North!

I was thumbing through Sunday Morning Quilts one day at a local shop and I saw the Up, Up, and Away quilt. I had the idea to recreate a wonky version of this quilt using charms. This is what I came up with:
Flying North Quilt
The background yellow fabric is a 100% cotton woven fabric that I found at Jo Ann's. It's so soft, and washes up even softer - perfect for a baby quilt! The prints are all from Promenade by Riley Blake.
Flying North Quilt
I quilted a zig zag pattern using the pieced triangles as a rough guide. I kept the quilting a bit wonky to flow with the piecing style.
Flying North Quilt
I used two charm packs for this quilt. I used several of the prints more than once in the quilt top, because they were my favorites. All of the left over charms went on the back, along with a sprinkling of some yellow squares. I even threw in some squares that I had left over from the quilt top. Some yellow fabric above and below the piecing brought the backing up to size!
Flying North Quilt
For the binding I chose a floral print from the Promenade line. I just love the pale lilac background in that print! (Note to self: snag some from the LQS soon!) On the back I included one of my labels.
Flying North Quilt
I recently sent this quilt off to a college friend for her new baby girl. She didn't find out the sex of the baby before birth, but I started this quilt with her in mind because I had a feeling she would have a girl! I hope baby Grace is getting lots of use out of it!
Flying North Quilt
Quilt Stats:
Size: Approximately 40" square, I think (oops, I forgot to measure it before I sent it off!)
Fabric: Promenade by Riley Blake and yellow woven from Jo Ann's
100% cotton batting
Wonky Zig Zag quilting
Flying North Quilt

11 comments:

felicity said...

Oh my how fabulous! And gorgeous photos to boot!

dot•dot•blog said...

I love all of these quilt designs you just come up with on your own! Can't WAIT to see what you do for my wedding quilt!!!!! Btw, I hope you've started because we're only 73 days out now! :) :) :) :) :)

Amanda said...

Looks great. I loved the up up and away look too. Looks great wonky. And I'm always a sucker for yellow and pink.

Carla said...

LOVE! I made one too, using a white background.
Are you linking up to the Flickr group?

CityHouseStudio said...

Beautiful! This is a quilt I have on my list to try!
I love the cheery yellow background, too!

Cher said...

a delightful quilt...nothing like taking an idea and playing with it...thanks for the lovely photos too!

Becky said...

Great quilt! Love your blog!

Live a Colorful Life said...

such a sunny and cheery quilt. And what sweet little feet....

Kati said...

What a perfect baby quilt! I love the golden yellow background. I have such a hard time breaking out of my neutrals rut. I'm sure it will be well loved.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I never thought about using charms in that way. Great idea!

Kristie said...

This is crazy cute as well. So happy a color!
(can you tell I am catching up on blogs tonight??)