Friday, April 20, 2012

Modern Workshop Minis...and a quilt spotting!

Do you follow Jenny at Sew Kind of Wonderful?  She recently came out with her quilt curve ruler, which I can't wait to try out! Lots of wonderful quilters have been getting creative with Jenny's ruler over on the Fat Quarterly Blog. After reading one of Jenny's posts this week I wandered over to the Fat Quarterly blog, and imagine my surprise when I saw one of my quilts!! During the March Madness posts (of which I missed completely while I was miserably sick in Chicago!), my quilt popped up on the Fat Quarterly blog to showcase the Echo fabric line by Lotta Jansdotter!! I was shocked and flattered to find my quilt! If you're curious, you can check it out here.

And now, on to those mini quilts!

Chelsea at Pins and Bobbins hosted the Made in Cherry quilt along earlier this year. Each time a new quilt along post popped up in my reader, I heard that little voice telling me to add *just one more* project to my working list. I'm worked hard to finish up all of my WIPs, though, which is when I realized that I could make a mini Made in Cherry quilt! If I can start and finish the project in a day or two, it doesn't even need to pop up on the WIP list, right?
I pulled out a charm pack of Modern Workshop plus one of my favorite prints from Ruby, and got to work. In my mini, the squares finish at 2". Total finished size is 16" square.
DSC_0119
This was also the first project that I quilted in the orange peel design!
DSC_0022
I love the orange peel, but I also love the outline quilting! They play together so well in this mini, if I do say so myself.
DSC_0120
For the backing I used a print from Kate Spain's Verna.
DSC_0123
I had lots of 2.5" squares left after my Made in Cherry mini, so I made another mini, in a different layout this time. Finished size is 12"x16".
DSC_0117
Lots of straight line quilting:
DSC_0017
And some cute little ladybugs on the back (from Flutterby by Tula Pink), binding is a stripe from Just Wing It by Momo.
DSC_0118
I hoped to use this mini on our coffee table, but it's quite a bit smaller than I would like. It makes a great little table topper, though!

7 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Cute mini!

I've only just started to play with the curve ruler but it's got endless possibilities. You're going to love it.

felicity said...

I saw your quilt over at FQ - looking gooood! And I love everything in this post, too.

Maria Filomena said...

Muito bonito!!!
Parabéns,
com abraços de MF

Annabella said...

Congratulations and well deserved! Love the Made in Cherry quilt too.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Everything you do is so amazing! It was cool to see you spotlighted in FQ too.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That's awesome! Love the minis! How do you do the orange peel quilting?

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's wonderful, I love it!