Thursday, April 5, 2012

If you can't beat them...

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since my last post. Well, no, scratch that, I CAN believe it. Since my last post I have: finished up an auction quilt (I'll share it soon!) for Addy's preschool class, had all of my household belongings and my two dogs packed and sent off to New York, traveled to the Chicago area with Addy, helped my parents move, caught a nasty virus which resulted in me sleeping and complaining for 7 days straight, traveled with Addy to New York, found out I had strep throat, and worked on organizing the new house. Addy and I have now been in New York for 4 days, and I'm on the road to recovery, Matt did a great job getting the house set up, and we found out about kindergarden screening just-in-time! So while I have lots of projects to work on, I'm going to share something I made awhile ago. Here we go!

We have two dogs. With their friendship and home security comes lots of dog hair; it's a package deal. Over the last ten years we have developed a cleaning rhythm to keep the dog hair at bay, and for the most part the house appears clean enough. But try as I might, I can not keep our dark wood and leather coffee table/ottoman clean! It's a great piece of furniture: stuffed leather ends, perfect for propping your feet up, and a wooden table in the center. Plus there is storage inside of it! Like I said, it's perfect. Except that is accumulates dog hair.
Finally one day I gave up on keeping the table area clean, and decided it would be best to just hide the dog hair as it accumulates. And so, I made a mini quilt! I pulled all of the fabrics for the 9-patch squares from my scraps.
DSC_0013 
Straight line quilting:
DSC_0011 
The back and binding, Sugar Pop by Liz Scott and Weekends by Erin McMorris:
DSC_0015
The mini quilt in use:
DSC_0067
It fits so perfectly in the coffee table! We have been using the coffee table with the mini quilt for several months now, and I really love it. It brightens up the table, and hides the stray dog hairs between vacuumings!
I have stacks of finished projects to share on here, so hopefully I'll have a few spare minutes to jump back on here soon!

6 comments:

Heather D. said...

I've noticed your absence so it's good to hear from you again!

felicity said...

I hope the move went smoothly (virus/strep aside - YIKES!) and it's so nice to have you back.

This mini is a fantastic idea!

CityHouseStudio said...

Wow! Good luck with your move and getting used to your new life! It sounds exciting but scary, too!
I absolutely love your quilting - it really dresses up the squares. Love how stars are formed at the quilted intersections - so cool!

Anna said...

oh my gosh, you've been busy! sorry to hear you were sick, :( sounds like you have some fun times waiting ahead of you though. :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That's a lot to deal with it!! Hope you're feeling better and good luck with the move, enjoy settling in :)

Deb said...

I knew your blog hadn't been highlighted on my reader in quite a while, but I remembered you were moving and figured you were extra busy. So sorry that you've been sick on top of everything else! I hope the settling in process goes well. At least now you're on this side of the country! I love the scrappy quilted table topper.