This top has only 2 pattern pieces, a pleat down the front, simple bust darts, and bias binding around the neck and arm holes.
I used a voile from Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks, which is very lightweight. The simple seams and lightweight fabric were the perfect combination for french seams.
I used premade 1/4" bias binding for the neck and arm holes. I also learned a few great tips for sewing binding on, I'll share those in a tutorial on Thursday.
First, let's see my Sorbetto!
The front (excuse the dirty mirror!)
For the most part, I like the fit of this top. I did take out the shoulder seam by about 3/8" because the bust dart was way too high and the arm holes were too tight. I'm still not thrilled with the placement of the bust dart, but I don't think it's too noticeable.
Even with the shoulder seam adjustment, I took about 3/4" off the bottom of the armscye. I'm really sensitive to how my tops fit under my arms, so I knew that if the armscye was too tight, I wouldn't wear the top.
I wore my top out to dinner with a yellow cardigan, and I think it looked pretty cute! Next time I will alter the pattern to fit the bust darts properly and enlarge the armscye, but all in all this first version is very wearable.
Now for a sneak peek of my bias binding!
Check back on Thursday for a tutorial on applying bias binding!