Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Even Santa gives handmade!

Addy is on the fence about Santa. It's probably partly because we don't harp on the whole idea of Santa. We don't do the good girl/bad girl thing or threaten her to behave, and talking up the Santa thing just seems odd to me. It's also probably partly because I made many of her gifts. She knows my fabric stash too well, and she assumes that I make most everything in our house. In fact, she used to try to tell Matt that I made the plastic plates that she eats off of!

I have From An Igloo to thank for most of the gifts that we made Addy this year! For her main gift, Matt made this doll bed and I made the bedding. I had seen the bed months ago, but it wasn't until From An Igloo blogged about her doll bed that I remembered the project and what a great gift it would make for Addy. As a bonus, Christine blogged about the bedding that she made - that meant I could sew from her measurements which saved me some time!
For the pillowcases and quilt I used the City Weekend collection. The bed sheet was made from a woven that I had in my stash. I used a charm pack for the quilt, and decided to make it reversible! I also quilted it in a more modern style, with random straight double lines.
I'd like to pick up a fat quarter of one of the pink prints so that I can make another set of pillow cases to match the other side of the quilt.
I was a bit nervous that this gift wouldn't be a huge hit. With Matt living across the country, I never really found my holiday groove. In fact, we didn't even START this gift until 3 days before Christmas! But she loves it, and it's definitely something that she will play with for years. In fact, I made an extra sheet for the bed, and one of Addy's favorite things to do is change the bedding when her babies wake up!
Next up, more doll-relating gifts!

6 comments:

felicity said...

Wow! That is completely fantastic!!

Love the new look of the blog, btw.

Unknown said...

I want to make one for myself!!!

I love it!

Diane said...

This is adorable!

Susan said...

Oh, my that is the cutest thing I have ever seen! You are so talented and your daughter is so lucky!

Quiltstory said...

Okay, ridiculously cute!!!

Lynn said...

I got my 4 year old, well Santa did, a used dollhouse from the 70's and I thought about making a doll sized quilt for the bed. Glad I found yours now I see how cute it can be. THanks!