Friday, November 22, 2013

Kath's Quilt

I have a whole stack of projects to blog about, I just need to carve out some computer time! I'm actually going to start out with my most recent finish.

Last weekend I met up with my BRF (Best Running Friend), Kath, in Philadelphia for a girl's weekend. Of course we also ran the Philadelphia Marathon - the weekend wouldn't be complete without a race! It was a great weekend, we both improved out race times by quite a bit, and I got to surprise her with a quilt.

Kath's Quilt

You may recognize this quilt from here. I had this top finished before I received the feedback on the other quilt, which may have squashed any desire that I had to work on this one. I'm glad I pulled this back out to work on, because in the end I love them both!

Kath's Quilt

I used a grey Aurifil for the background (my long arm has finally learned to love Aurifil - YAY!!) and a dark teal for the colored blocks. I really love the contrasting thread, I'm glad I chose it!

Kath's Quilt

In the grey background I quilted a ribbon meander with a few boxes thrown into the mix. I debating quilting the entire top in tiles, a la Angela Walters, but at the last minute I changed up the design a bit. I think this simpler design fits the quilt and the recipient better!

Kath's Quilt

Kath's Quilt

I pieced the back using several prints that I had on hand. We had a good laugh about the dark teal fabric....I love the Indian Summer line, but this print just reminds me of a field of.....well, use your imagination. ;) Thankfully my friend just laughed about it and agreed, she didn't throw the quilt back at me in disgust! Ha!

Kath's Quilt

Kath got stuck in Pheonix on her way home, but as soon as she was back in Seattle I received a pic of her quilt on her bed!

1 comment: