Saturday, October 9, 2010

More Owls

I picked up this corduroy at JoAnn's a few weeks ago.  It wasn't actually the owl print that sucked me in, it was the coordinating polka dots!


Pattern: McCall's 5919, size 3
Pattern Description: 
Childrens' and Girls' Tops and Dresses
Pattern Sizing:
3-6 or 7-14
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
yep
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yep, I had no issues.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the style-it allows for a lot of variation.  There is an optional ruffle around the yolk, optional pockets, binding around the sleeves.  All of these details can be done in contrasting fabrics, which would give the garment a fresh look!Fabric Used:
JoAnn Fabrics baby wale corduroy
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I used a coordinating fabric for the ruffle around the yolk.
Omitted all interfacing.
Top stitched and/or stitched in the ditch to avoid blind stitching by hand.
Lastly I sewed a piece of knit in the front so this can be worn without a top underneath.Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might make this again in the dress length.  I wanted to add pockets in the coordinating polka dot, but I didn't allow enough length for them.
I would recommend this to others.






When I first completed this top, I thought Addy would just wear it over a t-shirt because of the deep slit opening in front.  Then  I remembered that I had some aqua knit!  I cut a piece of knit at 5"x6", hemmed the top edge, layed it over the slit and pinned it down.  Then I turned the shirt right side out and stitched in the ditch to attach the knit.  It worked like a charm!