Monday, June 11, 2012

Pillows inspired by "Quilting Modern"

I'm not sure if I've mentioned the new book, Quilting Modern, before. I know Katie from the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild, although I didn't actually meet her until the book was well underway. She is tons of fun, and so inspiring! As I read through my copy of the book, I really felt like a little bit of Katie went into each project and technique.
Jacquie is equally as inspiring! Her blog was one of the very first quilt blogs that I ever followed, and even as my tastes change and my blogger roll reflexes that, I don't think I will EVER tire of Jacquie's work. I haven't met her in person, but she's very sweet over email!
I buy very few books, especially sight unseen. But I knew that this book would be a hit, so I preordered it - and I was not disappointed! What I love so much about this book is that it is a collection of modern quilting techniques before it is a pattern book. There are directions for creating the quilts in the book, but there are also fabulous descriptions of techniques and other layouts using the techniques.Oh, and I can't forget the section that covers quilting designs - who doesn't need more quilting inspiration?!
The first project that I made was with stitch and flip triangles. I wanted to make a pillow for a friend as a birthday gift, so I thought this would be a fun time to try out the technique.
G Pillow
I used linen for the center of the pillow and hand embroidered a G for my friend's last name:
G Pillow
Straight line quilting:
G Pillow
I used a brown for the binding and one of my most favorite prints for the back:
G Pillow back
Fabrics on the front are from Outfoxed by Lizzy House (orange) and It's a Hoot by Momo (teal).
Back fabric is from Weekends by Erin McMorris.
I also tried the slice and dice technique in the book, and made this pillow for Felicity (she blogged about it here!):
Fpillow front
On the back I used a cheerful raindrop fabric. She does live in Vancouver, after all. :)
Fpillow back
Fabrics on the front are linen (from JoAnn's) and Quilter's Linen in lime and azure, I think. I really love the quilter's linen because it has the stability of a quilting cotton with the visual texture of linen. It washes up really well, and I don't mind at all that it's not real linen!
On the back I used a print from Summersault by Eric McMorris.
I can't wait to use some of these techniques in larger projects. The stitch and flip triangles are especially appealing to me, because they create so many different layouts!

5 comments:

CityHouseStudio said...

So cute! I love that embroidered G.
And the quilting on Felicity's pillow is amazing - the contrast with the blue is wonderful!

felicity said...

Oh the photos look better here than on my blog. Yay! Thanks again for my beautiful pillow! I loves it.

Beth said...

I love both those pillows! I love how you added the initial on the first one. And the colors! I'm a Erin McMorris fan as well. I'm excited to browse around your blog.

CitricSugar said...

Very cute!! I won a copy of that book but it hasn't got here yet. I'm extra excited now...

jacquie said...

So awesome!!! Thanks for the kind words about the book too!