I decided that the very modern style of these prints would work well with a bit of traditional piecing. I had visions of a sampler style quilt, so I started piecing blocks in some of my favorite patterns. To challenge myself a bit, I used solid white in some blocks and solid khaki in the others. Originally I planned to frame each block in a hot pink solid, but I couldn't find the right shade of pink. I had a bit of kona in chartreuse in my stash, which worked really well to frame the blocks! And then I got stuck on the border. My first instinct was to use white in the borders, but that caused the khaki blocks to look out of place. While I was chatting with some quilting friends one night, one of them suggested a dark grey border and maybe some cornerstones. I loved the grey border right away, and the bright blue cornerstones really tied the whole quilt together.
To keep the quilt modern, I quilted it densely with organic straight lines. Dark grey binding keeps the eye focused on the quilt blocks.
Several quilt blocks didn't make the cut for the quilt top. I included them on the quilt back, along with thin strips of crossweave on either side of the pieced strip and dark grey for the background. I purposely left a label off of this quilt, so that we could display the quilt front or back!
Size: Approximately 36" square
Fabric: Habitat by Jay McCarroll, Kona, Moda crossweave
Quilting: organic straight lines
I think it looks great with the bench that Matt made! (The pink paint was $1 in the "oops paint" section at Home Depot. I love how well it matches the Habitat fabric! Maybe one day I'll make baskets for under the bench...)