Saturday, October 23, 2010

Handmade Gifts for Birthday Twins!

I can't believe it's been a year since our friends' twins were born!  When their older sister turned 3 in August I made her a Mermaiden, and my friend was so happy to receive a handmade gift.  So when we started talking about the twins' first birthday, I knew I had to make a few more things.

For Vivian, I made a soft doll from this Black Apple pattern.  (It's a freebie! Woo-hoo!)
I used kona for the doll's skin, wool felt for her hair and the flower in her hair, and 2 batiks for the body and stockings.  The face was hand embroidered.  I didn't embellish her too much, because I wanted to keep her safe for little ones!  This is a great little doll to sew up.  I first found this pattern when I made a few dolls for the Craft Hope project #2.  I keep the pattern in my stash for times like this. :)

And for Carson, I made (my first) sock monkey!
He turned out pretty cute!  Addy and I sat down to watch Finding Nemo last night and by then end I had only the hand embroidery left to do-I chose to hand embroider the eyes rather than using buttons to keep the toy safe for little ones.  I now have another idea on my  go-to list for children's gifts!



1 comment:

Kristie said...

Very cute! The Black Apple dolls are on my to-do list (with like a million other things- LOL!).