I followed the basic measurements and construction for the Capture the Moment camera bag from the Sew Liberated book. I was going to draft the pattern from scratch, but I wasn't in the mood to troubleshoot. So I headed over to JoAnn's with my coupon in hand, and I got the only copy that they had in stock. Woo-hoo!!
This pattern was really well written, and it came together very easily. I used canvas for the interior and exterior of the bag body, and a mix of canvas and my Heather Ross prints from the top flap. The pattern calls for a wide wale corduroy, which I would have preferred if I hadn't already purchased the canvas.
Here are a few of my changes:
Bag strap. The original pattern calls for D-rings and lobster clasps to attach the strap to the bag body. I liked the idea of being able to remove the strap, but the D-rings weren't working out well. They twisted around quite a bit, so I replaced the D-rings with rectangular rings and ditched the lobster clasps. I also used my printed fabric to cover a length of 1.5" webbing for the strap. I have mentioned this before, but this is my favorite method for creating a bag strap. It ends up really sturdy and durable, plus you can cover the webbing with whatever coordinating print you'd like! I used canvas for the Festival Bag strap, and even the added bulk was no problem.
Pockets! I added a zipper pocket on the outside of the bag back and a small pocket on the inside of the bag.
Top flap. I'm not sure if I like this change, to be honest. I was worried that the top flap wouldn't cover the bag well enough, so I created a flap that would cover the top of the bag like a gift box top. I didn't make the sides quite deep enough for my liking, so I am going to use the bag for a bit before I decide if I should change it. I also used 2 layers of batting for the top, which isn't quite enough structure. If I change the shape of the flap, I will probably insert a piece of 1" foam as well. (And get a load of that piping!)
Bag binding. This was a small change, but I love the effect that it had. To finish off the top of the bag, the pattern directs you to make a length of binding and cover the top raw edge with it. Because the canvas is bulky, I decided to add a small section of my polka dot print. I applied the binding almost all of the way around the bag, with part of the beginning unstitched (in the same fashion as if you were to bind a quilt). As I came around the bag, I stopped stitching the binding. I measured the correct length, trimmed my binding, sewed the two ends together, and finished applying the binding to the bag top. It worked out really well to reduce bulk, and I love the pop of white when I open the bag!
I had a lot of fun with this bag. Initially I procrastinated quite a bit, but the construction when off without a hitch! I owe my sister a camera bag, so you'll probably see another one of these around here some time. As soon as she chooses her fabrics. :)