Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Addy's Birthday Skirt

This was actually Addy's birthday skirt from last year.  I intentionally made it long so that it would last through this year.  And it's a good thing I did, because she entered her 2's much shorter and a bit "bulkier" than she is leaving them!  It always seems that within a few weeks of her check up, she hits a growth spurt.  So then I don't *really* know where she is on the height/weight curve.

I got the original idea for this skirt when I stumbled on this tutorial.  See, back when I found this tutorial I was just getting into the whole blogging thing.  I didn't really understand what they were, how often they were updated, etc.  I didn't even start using google reader until last fall!  So when I found the Round About Pocket Tutorial, I made a mental note of it and went on my merry way.  Then I got the idea to make Addy a birthday skirt with the (then) new Amy Butler line.  And I knew that it HAD to have a cute petal pocket on it.

I freehanded the petals, and instead of bias tape for the pocket edge I just topstitched.  The ruffle at the bottom was pleated by hand.  I really love this skirt, and I'm so glad she's getting another summer out of it.  The only bummer is that the petals have to be ironed down flat after each washing.  Although I usually just leave them all crumply. :)


The pocket detail:

The ruffle detail:


And some action shots:
 

1 comment:

Kara Forristall said...

She can wear it two years in a row!!! good job! I love the pocket detail. (we are military, every three years we move and it amazes me how much we accumulate in that amount of time!)