As I quilted more and more, I started to move away from the safety net of using the rails to keep my lines straight. By the end of the quilt, I was rolling the quilt far less and free handing far more. The lines aren't perfect, but I think it's good enough for my first attempt!
There were a few hiccups when I was learning all of this. First, the presser foot tried to eat my quilt! When I was running the presser foot edge against the rail to quilt, I had a few stops where the fabric already rolled up on the rail was being eaten up by the presser foot as it hopped along. To fix this, I taped a piece of template plastic to the machine. That way, the presser foot was only touching the plastic and my quilt stayed safely on the other side. :) Here's a picture to better explain this:
The other problem that I encountered was some puckering with my backing fabric. As I rolled the quilt up, I noticed several spots about 12 inches in from either edge that had a pucker. I think this was because I was quilting a queen size quilt, and couldn't secure the edges to keep the fabric taut. I don't like puckers, though, so I did end up pulling out a lot of stitching...
I'm almost done with the quilt binding, and Matt is almost done putting the room back together. I should have a before and after post of the guest room by the end of the week!