Friday, August 28, 2009

The skirt - it's done!

This skirt came together really quickly.  I had the pieces already cut, so the sewing took about 1.5 hours.  And I sew extremely sloooooow.  So it could probably be a 1 hour job!  Especially with a knit, because you wouldn't have to serger any edges (but I still do....).
Anyway, enough chit-chat, here are the pics:

A better picture of the bottom ruffle.  I just bought a gathering foot, and this was my first time using it.  I'm in love!  The ruffle measures 6" by approximately 1.5x the width of the bottom of the skirt.  I didn't finish the raw edge of the ruffle top.  The bottom of the ruffle is a rolled hem on my serger.
And this is the waist detail.  I made 3 rows of sheering, using elastic thread in my bobbin and the longest stitch length that my machine would allow.  The waist band was sewn onto the skirt bottom and then topstitched.  I also added 2 button holes so that I could have a small tie at the waist.  Because of the sheering, though, a tie really isn't even necessary.
I'm in love with this skirt, and I can't wait to wear it this weekend!  I think I like it even more than the all back version that I purchased from Ann Taylor Loft.
I'm still working on this quilt.  I'm just about done with the binding.  And it's a good thing, because I'm running out of time! ;)
I also whipped up another leather journal for my brother's graduation gift.  I wrapped it before I remembered to take a picture.  I'll have to take a few at the party this weekend, I think it turned out really well!

No comments: